State of California English Learner Data
Basic Facts—California Language Census: October 1st, 2014
English learners are a significant portion of California public school students:
- The 1,413,549 English learners constitute 22.7 percent of the total enrollment in California public schools.
- A total of 2,685,793 students speak a language other than English in their homes. This number represents about 43.1 percent of the state's public school enrollment.
- The majority of English learners (73 percent) are enrolled in the elementary grades, kindergarten through grade six. The rest (27 percent) are enrolled in the secondary grades, seven through twelve, and in the ungraded category.
Although English learner data are collected for 60 language groups, 95 percent speak one of the top ten languages in the state:
|Pilipino (Filipino or Tagalog)||
MDUSD English Learner Data
BASIC FACTS AS OF OCTOBER 1, 2014.
English learners also represent a significant population within the Mt. Diablo Unified School District.
- Of 31,748 students in the district, 7,251(23%) are currently English Learners. See the tables below to see the breakdown of students in our elementary, middle, and high schools.
- A total of 13,190 students speak a language other than English at home. This represents about 42% of the students in our district.
High School Student Total Counts by ELL Status
|As of CALPADS Information Day Oct 1,2014|
|ELL Status||Count of SSID||% Total|