Skip To Main Content

Credit Reduction


Credit Reduction

Forms and Documents

Q: What is Education Code 51225.1?

A: Education Code 51225 is a California law that directs LEAs to exempt students in foster care, students who are homeless, former juvenile court school students, migratory students and newly arrived immigrant student who transfers between schools any time after the completion of the student’s second year of high school, or a student participating in a newcomer program, and who is in his or her third or fourth year of high school, from all coursework and other requirements adopted by the local governing school board that are in addition to the statewide coursework requirements , unless the LEA finds that the student is reasonably able to complete the LEA’s graduation requirements in time to graduate from high school by the end of the student’s fourth year of high school.  This law also guarantees an eligible student a fifth year in high school.

Q: Which groups of students can be considered for eligibility under E.C. 51225.1?

  • Youth in foster care (AB 167). 
  • Students who are homeless (AB 1806).
  • Former juvenile court school students (AB 2306).
  • Students of military families (AB 365)
  • Migratory students (AB2121)
  • Newly arrived immigrant students (AB 2121).

Q: What other requirements must be met to determine eligibility under E.C. 51225.1?

A: There are two. 

  1. The student must have transferred schools during the 3rd or 4th year of high school.
  2. The student must show they cannot otherwise reasonably complete District graduation requirements by the end of the 4th year of high school.

Q: What notifications must be made to the student and Educational Rights Holder?

A: 1) They must be informed of the student’s eligibility within 30 days of enrollment. 2) They must be informed of the student’s eligibility to complete graduation during a fifth year of high school. 3) They must be informed that there are disadvantages to accepting benefits.

Q. What are the disadvantages of accepting benefits under E.C. 51225?

A. Receiving a diploma through this exemption will affect this student’s ability to gain admission to post-secondary educational institutions.  Students will not meet the A-G requirements for enrollment in a four-year CA university (CSU and UC) upon graduation from high school.  Through CA Community Colleges (i.e. DVC and LMC), students may complete specific coursework and gain entry into the CA State Universities. 

Ultimately, the Education Rights Holder must determine whether the benefits outweigh the disadvantages of accepting eligibility.

Q. Does work done in another country or partially completed at another school count towards graduation under E.C. 51225?

A. Yes.  Even if the student did not complete the entire course, the District shall issue that student full or partial credit for the coursework completed. Partial credits must be honored.

Q. Can a student keep benefits under E.C. 51225.1 during a fifth year of high school or do their credits revert back to the full District graduation requirements?

A. MDUSD has chosen to exercise its right to require the minimum state graduation credit requirements during a fifth year.

Q: Who monitors students and determines eligibility for benefits under E.C. 51225.1 within MDUSD?

A: Student Services determines eligibility of students under E.C. 51225.1. 

Student Services will monitor eligibility requests for Children of Military Families and former Juvenile Court Schools students. 

Students in foster care and students who are homeless are monitored by MDUSD Program Specialist in School and Community Services assigned to those populations.  Requests or queries can be addressed to Rosie Reid at

English Learner Services will monitor eligibility requests for migratory students and newly arrived immigrant students and determine their eligibility. 

Q: How is eligibility under E.C. 51225.1 communicated within MDUSD?

A: The assigned monitoring body will advise the site principal and counselor of a student’s eligibility.

The site administrator and counselor will meet with the student, education rights holder, and any other important stakeholders such as probation officers and county social workers to complete the worksheet and the notification letter.  Sites are responsible for obtaining the signature of students, the education rights holder, and the site administrator.

Original documents should then be submitted to School and Community Services for the remaining signatures to be obtained. School and Community Services will send the original to the site registrar for credit adjustment, and e-mail a copy to stakeholders. 

The site registrar will make the credit adjustment and place the original documents in the student’s cumulative folder.